Here’s how you can resolve your outstanding tax demand if ITR not processed yet
If you are one of those people who are waiting for the income tax refund and not yet received it, there could be an outstanding tax demand from the income tax department. If any tax refund is due, the refund will be adjusted against the outstanding demand.
In the case of higher refunds, it is better to confirm and pay any tax due to the government. Once the outstanding tax is paid to the government, your income tax return will get processed and tax refund, if any will become payable. In order to check your Outstanding Tax Demand status, you can log on to the e-filing website of the income tax department.
You can not only submit the response online but also pay outstanding tax demand online if any. You can even choose to Agree or Disagree with the tax demand.
Here is how to check Outstanding Tax Demand Status:
- Log-on to ‘e-Filing’ Portal www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Go to the ‘e-File’ menu and click ‘Response to Outstanding Demand’.
- Click the hyperlink ‘Submit’ located under the ‘Response’ column
- As a taxpayer, you can pay the demand by clicking the link under the ‘Pay Tax’ option.
- You will be redirected to the NSDL website to pay the tax.
- You can choose any one of the listed responses.
- Demand is correct – If you confirm ‘Demand is correct’ then you cannot disagree with the demand again.
- Demand is partially correct
- Disagree with demand
- Demand is not correct but agree for adjustment
How to respond to outstanding demand:
- On choosing ‘Demand is correct…….Read More>>